Please find notes from 8/30/17 PAB Meeting:
- We welcome Ms. Hernandez, our new 6th grade teacher. She has worked in Spain and Italy for the last year and a half as a Language Teacher. With her experience and background, Ms. Hernandez will also head our language arts program.
- STAR Testing will be held this week for students in their current grade. Testing is a bit behind due to power line repair on Astoria St. however, should be completed by next Friday.
Youth Speak Collective
- Program is a non-profit that is a combined after school daycare with enrichment classes and sporting activities. The program is organized by Catholic School parents hoping to offer the program to Catholic Schools. St. Didacus School is not participating in the full program due to insufficient funding however, may participate in tutoring and extra-curricular activities. Representatives will be presenting at our next General Parent Meeting held on Thursday, September 7th at 6:30pm.
- Program timing will be changing this year to allow teachers to better establish class routines as we begin our new school year. Courses will begin on week 10 and will run for 15 weeks. The second wave of courses will begin after a short break for another 15 weeks. Teachers will monitor the effectiveness of the change in the best interest of our students.
Service Project: Spiritual Adoption completion in May
- In addition to our Spiritual Adoption Service Project, Father Bob has asked for us to arrange an additional community project. Please share any ideas with Ms. Gonzales.
- Ideas from yesterday:
- Vegetable garden using planters in front of the convent and donating food to shelters
- Ministries sing at nursing home once a month on Saturdays. Have students and parents participate.
Room Parents/PAB Representatives
- If you are interested in volunteering as a Room Parent or PAB Representative, please inform Ms. Gonzales and your child’s teacher. Ms. Gonzales has informational packets to share with you. This is a great opportunity to help the school and your child’s class by sharing your time and talents. Studies have proven that students whose parents volunteer are more confident and successful at school.
- The school has a coach who has volunteered to manage the Boys A Football Team (7-8th grade). We still need a coach for Boys B Football (5-6th grade). Please inform Ms. Gonzales if you or someone you know may be interested in volunteering.
- Cheer will consist of one program this year (Kinder-8th grade) which will begin in a couple of weeks. Competition will be held in the spring.
- Basketball will begin in December. Please reach out to Ms. Gonzales if you or someone you know is interested in volunteering as a coach.
Fundraisers: Goal for each fundraiser $25,000.
- Chocolate Sale: August 24-September 22
- Raffle Tickets: Payment due October 1
- Harvest Festival: October 21
- Popcorn/Frozen Sale (optional): TBD, looking at December 13
- Jog-A-Thon: April 27, 2018
- We are looking to revamp our annual Harvest Festival to attract more of the community and make it more successful.
- Ideas from yesterday:
- Change time from 1-7pm to possibly 4-10pm
- Rename event
- Carnival Games
- Vendor operated inflatables/rides
- Game Truck
- Movie screen to play shots of the event
- DJ for dancing
- Live music/Ballet Folklorico
- Sky Beams to attract traffic
- Offer dinner plate options versus a la carte options to increase food profits
- More advertising
- Please email the following information to Ms. Gonzales at email@example.com by Tuesday, September 5th:
- Wish list of school improvements we would like to set as a goal for fundraising funds
- Ideas to help improve our upcoming Harvest Festival.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, September 6th at 6 pm in the 8th grade classroom. We hope to see you there! 🙂